Tuesday, October 30, 2012

John Boos Cutting Board Review


I have been using a new cutting board from John Boos. I am not an expert by any means on cutting boards so I was not quite sure what to expect. The cutting board that I received is a nice heavy board that is about 2 inches thick. That makes this board very heavy. But it means that it is sturdy also.

This cutting board is definitely solid wood. It is not safe for the dishwasher and it is not recommended that you submerge the board in water. However, it is recommended that you oil your cutting boards to protect them and help them last.I purchased a bottle of John Boos Mystery Oil on Amazon and applied it on my board as soon as I broke the seal. I want this cutting board to last a lifetime. The board appears darker with the oil applied. When the wood starts to lighten up again, I will add more oil.

There are a couple features on this board that I have not had on my previous cutting boards. First, there is a nice deep juice groove all the way around the board. That means that when you cut that roast or Turkey, you will not end up with liquids all over your counter tops. One of the other features that this board has is hand grooves. I do not want to call them handles because they are not holes in the board. Instead, they are small indentations carved into the shorter sides of the board to help you move or carry the board when needed.

I found the board very easy to clean. I washed the board with warm soapy water after it was used and then sprayed it with a light bleach mixture that I made with a cap full of bleach in a spray bottle of water.

There are a couple of things that I would change. First the size of the board is a little thick for my limited counter space. The additional thickness also makes the board heavy. Neither of these reasons would ever stop  me from purchasing this cutting board, but it does restrict my ability to store the board in my small kitchen.


Disclaimer: I received the product described above at no charge to facilitate this review. All opinions are mine and may vary from your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment