Thursday, December 6, 2012

The Polar Express Review





Thanksgiving has come and gone and Christmas is on its way. What better time to take a ride on the Polar Express?
Goofin' while waiting for the train

 I packed up my husband and my four year old grandson and drove out to the small town of Hood River Oregon to climb aboard the Polar Express to the North Pole. The request was for adults and children to dress in your pajamas and climb on the train ready to enjoy the train ride and a reading of the polar Express. Unfortunately, it was just too rainy and cold outside to wear pajamas. Next time I am going to wear my Cookie monster pajamas!

See the decorations?


The three of us climbed into our car and were ready to go to the North Pole to greet Santa Clause. The train was nicely decorated in holiday garlands, lights, and ornaments. As the train started to roll away from the train station the numerous other children in our car got very excited.  The attendants in the train passed out hot chocolate and molasses cookies while we embarked on our trip. Then we hit a slight bump in the road, or tracks. There was a heard of caribou on the tracks and we had to change tracks to get to the North Pole. All of the children were excited to know that there were reindeer in the area.

The staff on the train were wonderful. They smiled and talked to the kids throughout the train. During the reading of the Polar Express the staff members held up copies of the books so the kids could see the pages as they were being read. After about a 30 minute train ride we arrived at the North Pole. Santa, Rudolph, and a few of his elves were outside the well-lit building waiving at all of the children. Then Santa and his elves were gone!  All of the kids were disappointed that they did not get to talk to Santa on the ride back. Then, all of the sudden, Santa appeared in our train car with one of his elves and the kids started to get excited all over again.



Santa strolled over to my grandson that had been on this roller coaster of happy and sad throughout the train ride and asked, “What would you like for Christmas?” How does my grandson respond? “I want presents….Duh!” This was the highlight of the trip for me.  I think Santa was a little surprised by the response and handed my grandson a little silver bell from his sleigh so he could call him at any time.


Overall, the train ride was a huge hit with the four year old. I think as an adult the highlight of this trip is seeing all of the smaller children believe in Santa and the excitement on their faces. However, if I did not have young children, I would opt for a train ride that was not full of children ogling over Santa or take the later train so it was dark during the train ride.


Disclaimer: I received complimentary tickets to facilitate this review. All opinions are my own and have not been influenced in any way.

No comments:

Post a Comment